Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Back to the Blogosphere

Hello again, readers! If you're wondering why I've taken a break from blogging for a while, my father died suddenly a couple of months ago. It has been a strange and staggering experience, but I think now is the time for me to return to those things that made my dad so proud. During the next six months I'll be finishing up my enlistment in the Navy, preparing for MIT, and doing some research that will help me hack the number of hours in a day. Next week I will be acquiring a very rare book to aid my research efforts, so that will likely become the focus of much blogging. =)

In other news, MIT released early action admissions decisions last Saturday. I now have over 500 fellow members of the Class of 2012! To my new classmates, CONGRATULATIONS!!! See you next fall! Until then, keep in touch and get to know yourselves on the Facebook group. To all those deferred, take heart! I was deferred last year, and when I got accepted during regular action I turned the tables and deferred my enrollment for a year! Unfortunately, I think it had less to do with dramatic irony, and more to do with completing my commitment to the Navy.

Our holiday stand-down starts on Thursday, so I'll be driving 11 hours to Nashville, Tennessee to be with my family for Christmas. I can't wait! What are your plans?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey daniel -
i'm really sorry to hear about your father. i can't imagine how tough this must be for your family, especially during the holiday season. best wishes - jess

Paul said...

As I've said before, I was crushed to hear about your father. I hope you're all doing okay, but rest assured we're all behind you. ^_^

My plans - finish my 5.112 final tomorrow, check my 8.012 grade at noon, have lunch with one of the Skulls, head back to Simmons, pack, clean up my room, and basically chill out until Thursday morning when I leave to go home!

FreeLance said...

I'm so sorry about your loss, but I'm sure you know that he will always be with you no matter what.

I'm getting a pentax k100d ! So happy! And I have friends coming from abroad, so it'd going to be a great holiday ! (and I'm gonig to start to learn how to drive ! so excited !)

Greg said...

AHHHH!!! I get to see you SOON!!
I've missed you man, and always look forward to seeing a blog from you. Helps me know what's going on in your life.

Kate said...

Hawkins--
I'm so sorry to hear about your dad. My heart goes out to you. (That sounds really corny, but it's heartfelt.)

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry to hear about your father, Hawkins, and hope that your time away from blogging and finishing up at the Academy helped you get through it. Welcome back to the blogosphere.

Anonymous said...

Hi Daniel! This is my first blog visit! I am glad to be able to get more information re: what you are doing and how you are. Precious (new puppy) is fine. I found her this am in the toilet paper rolls plastic bag with the toilet paper. I guess that is her new play house. I saw Nana and Papa Dan, and all the family. Steven got married 2 years ago. I met Amy. They are a wonderful couple. Katherine and Ben were in. They have been married 3 years, I think. They are still living in different states and fly in to see each other about once a month. Their dog stays with Nana and Papa Dan. Daniel was in rare form with lots of funny comments and stories. I had fun seeing them all again. The love never changes. LOve, Mom